Monday, October 31, 2011

Israel: Dead Sea-Does anybody else feel that?



The Middle East understandably intimidates some travelers. The headlines that come from the region are not usually positive and the uncertainty of what will happen on a day to day basis is frightening. However if conditions are safe and you have done your homework, I recommend going to Israel. There is truly nowhere like it. You can appreciate the landmarks from a historic or religious point of view. Walking through the dessert is like walking through a painting and is simply stunning. And the food rocks!
I went to Israel in 2008 with a big group of students. For many it was the first time in the Middle East. It was actually my first time out of the USA. While I was looking forward to everything, I was really looking forward to visiting the Dead Sea. One of the most do’s in Israel is visiting the Dead Sea. First off, it’s absolutely gorgeous in the crystal blue kind of way. It’s in a great location where you can see mountains from different countries. Also mud does wonders for your skin. It is the lowest elevation on the Earth's surface and is 33.7% (ish) salt. To give that perspective, The Atlantic and Pacific bodies of water are about 3.5%(ish). Needless to say, not much lives in the Dead Sea (the name kind of gives that away). To be honest when we were being told this information I wasn’t really paying attention to detail. All I could think of was it was hot and I wanted to go into the water. This would become my first lesson in listening to what the local tour guide tells you. It is most likely important.
After an incredibly long hike on Mt. Masada (also a must do) we arrived at the sea. We lathered up in mud (It’s free!) and started to head in. We were traveling with Israeli soldiers at the time who were on leave and were around our age. I was trying to get one of the girls in and she declined saying she had done it once. I looked at her and said, “But it’s hot and it’s the dead freaking Sea! How could you not want to go in?” She looked at me for a second and stated “It’s over 30% salt”. I being so naive simply stated, “So? It’s water!” She still declined and I said “See you in hour.” She quietly replied, “I think I’ll see you in about 15 minutes”. Who was this crazy solider think she was? I love the ocean and I could spend all day in it. We go in and the water is perfect temperature. We quickly realize that against our will we are floating. Salt does that apparently. It was awesome! You just sit there and float with no effort. About 10 min in I started to feel something. I slight..burn in my..private regions. I assume it’s nothing; just a little water making its way though. I looked around at the girls I was with who had gone quiet. All with that same look on their face of trying to suppress pain. We all started saying things like, “This is so great. We are so lucky to be here”. But it started to not sound sincere. The burning started to intensify. It was a burn that I can’t even compare anything to, and it was coming from all ends now. Finally one of the girls stated, “Holy shit, this burns. I am getting out!”. All of us screamed, “Yes!” and started to run out. In all the craziness some water got into our eyes and mouths. Crashing onto the shore I started running blindly to may blanket. I was hunched over with my hands between my legs, past the point of caring what I looked like to everyone. One eye shut and basically crying with mouth hanging open. Somebody told me there is a fresh water shower nearby to wash off. I stumble over there trying to get clean. After who knows how long I feel slightly less violated and wobble over to my solider friend who is reading her book, not even looking at me. I sit down and sigh, “So, over 30% salt..That’s a lot.” She says, “Yes, the guide had warned you many times.”. I look at her with one eye because the other one is still too salty and sigh again, “Yep”.

No comments:

Post a Comment